life : welcome, president obama


Photo Credit : AP Photo/Chuck Kennedy/Pool

Hi Everyone -

We really love the relationship President Obama has with the First Lady. We love that she was his boss and that their first date was to the movie Do the Right Thing. We love how they tease each other and took it right up to his being sworn in as President, today. Did you notice that when the platform was placed down for Michelle to stand on, just before he took the oath, Barack laughed and told her it was for her? As if there was some divine intervention, he then went on to flub the oath and she laughed. No harm done, but I'm sure she'll call him out on it later and so will their daughters.

It seems like he's going to be great. Calm, smart and inclusive, which is different than being tolerant. Grace under pressure. Annie was right when she sang "The sun will come out, tomorrow." It is tomorrow and the sun did come out. Other than the obvious, a highlight of the ceremony for me was the beautiful poem by Elizabeth Alexander. I'm sure President Obama's speech was beautiful, too. I listened, but didn't really hear a word. I will the second time.

xo, Cindy

PS President Obama, your GM Cadillac is fierce. We sincerely hope its strength will never be tested.

15 comments:

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

So good. Listen again.

Cindy said...

i'm so worried when the family is out in public, i can't even hear a word.

hmstrjam said...

great speech, great day- did you see the shot of the distorted view of sasha through the glass? was pretty funny looking...

Elizabeth said...

It sure was something to watch the swearing in this morning here on the west coast. From what I keep hearing though, was that the chief justice was the one who messed it up, and Barack was pausing, because he knew it wasn't in the right order.
Mr. President Barack Obama just can't take a bad picture can he?!! Every photo I see him in, is spectacular and iconic. I'm so happy today, it is even sunny and happy over here in California, just for him :)

Anonymous said...

I love your recap of the inauguration! It's about time America had an inspirational leader :) I too will need to listen to the speech again so I can hear the message. Although I think SNL is right in its parody that Obama could technically speak jibberish and still sound eloquent.

Amber said...

Just look at the beautiful smile on his face.
For the first time in many, many years I have hope.
This man is a mentor.
He has many supporters who want our country back from the haves and the good old boys club.
I wish I could have been there, I would have cried.
But then again I was here to see a mixed race man and a woman both run for President, we didn't know when that would happen, especially at the same time.
May God bless his Presidency.

Elizabeth said...

Cindy...Have you heard U2's new single? I'm kinda liking it. Of course it takes a few listens to love it. Tell me what you think.

Cindy said...

it was a wonderful day and the entire family is photogenic! now, the hard work begins.

elizabeth - in my opinion, i think barack started to speak before the chief justice was finished with his line and it threw the whole thing off because he had to repeat himself. i heard the new u2 song and it is pretty cool.

lotta said...

Wonderful day, wonderful time. I am very hopeful and inspired. I love that he took charge of some important things during his first day at work (halting the military court proceedings in Guantanamo, and putting restrictions on lobbyists) Mr. Obama is hitting the ground running and now it's time for the rest of us to keep up.

Anonymous said...

So beautifully written! I love them, is it strange to say when I "grow up" I want a family like that? I stayed up until 1:30 this morning watching his bio on A&E.

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Yes, I am still beaming from his speech, the fact that he is our president, all the hope he inspired, and the fact that for the first time in a long while I am SO proud to be an American. Thanks for this sweet Cindy!
xo
Melis

Boutique By Bonnie said...

I just love that they gave his youngest girl a platform to stand on!

aimee said...

what a fabulous day!

Dennise said...

I didn't know that they went to see Do the Right Thing on their first date. And I thought I couldn't admire them more! What a beautiful post.

Unknown said...

Lovely inauguration and whoa, that car is something!