art | more art in the city

Bookstore
museum of modern art bookshop &

Frank Stella
frank stella. i can't help it, i love the precision in his work. although it drives my eyes crazy, he creates so much movement with color & relatively simple pattern.

Picaso's Guitar
picasso's guitar collages were absolutely wonderful. i'm not good at creating collages, so i really appreciate his. the way he combined paint, grit, wallpaper, metal and newspapers was interesting and these works are almost 100 years old - timeless. photos were not allowed nor were there any post cards, but there was a book.

Lorna Simpson
the exhibit pictures by women, a history of modern photography was fabulous. i learned about so many important women photographers, including this series by lorna simpson and saw my first sally mann photo in person. i don't think i really appreciated her beautiful work and painstaking process until now.

although it's nice to see art in person, it's not always possible. but, thanks to the internet, just about all of these exhibits and/or artists can be viewed online to some extent from the peace and quiet of your own home. and, just to update my last post, thanks to all of your wonderful comments, i got first place in the new york botanical garden sense of place category for week six bringing me one step closer to winning a spot in the photography class. so, thank you very much, once again!

xo, cindy

14 comments:

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

Woohoo! I am so glad you are one step closer to that photography class. What's crazy is how expensive those classes are sometimes.

Unknown said...

good luck with that photography class I love Art in N-Y or anywhere I would like to try painting, but I'm not good in drawing I would love abstract!!

painted fish studio said...

yay internet! it lets me live in new york & live vicariously thru you...

Joyce said...

Yahoo... Cindy! I'm so happy what else can we do to get you one step closer?!

I so love the photo of you over at Erik's corner. Seriously we need to see that photo more here! I also, love the one in your header of the building dock. I keep looking at everytime I swing by here.

Serious Cindy let me know if we can help more! xo

blue moss said...

yay!! let us know if there is more we can do to help get you that spot!!
michelle

Jamie said...

Congrats! You deserve a place in that class.

jane said...

congratulations! you go girl!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

woot! good for you girlie!

Michelle Brunner said...

Congrats! You deserve it:)

Deniz said...

congrats! let us know if there are anymore updates

i love your photos of the art- especially the first one...and yes while one can see all of it online now- there is something about being in the space with the art itself-- so hope that one day i can stroll through those photos of yours and admire the art :)

Megan Coyle said...

what fun! art museums are so inspiring :) i love, love picasso's collages and frank stella really is pretty fabulous.

Cindy said...

actually, they don't include the previous comments from the prior round, so i do need new votes!

Bella Sinclair said...

Wow, I'd never seen Frank Stella before. Dazzling! Ahh, bless Google and the art project for bringing the art to everyone.

Ooh, you need new votes? I'm in!

Julia said...

Holy smokes! What great news on the first place, deary! That's incredible. Keep us posted!

I loved the image of picasso's guitar--it's very... sensual :)