pics : polaroid & eames


I saw a wonderful short film about the Polaroid SX-70 made by Charles and Ray Eames on The Mid-Century Modernist this weekend. This stylish promotional film shares the fun of photography and provides an interesting explanation about how to use the camera and its functionality. The film was produced in 1972 and the diversity of the people featured in it is really wonderful. I also love the sound of the camera and the actual photos, of course.

The post also led me to the wonderful website of graphic designer,
Jason Santa Maria (another JM), who shares his love for the camera and some very helpful tips for those of us who couldn't resist the temptation any longer after seeing that film and had to jump on over to ebay for her very own (better get some more film + a filter). Oh dear, I'm officially on creative overload! But, I finished my floor mat and it is now a tablecloth for our yellow kitchen ;). Pics and ideas for the 'new' mat in better color choices for a gray bathroom
to come.

Hope your weekend was great!


xo, Cindy
Photo Credit :
Gary K. Waters

19 comments:

montague said...

i reeeeally want an SX-70!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post - I have a friend who is WAY into Polaroids so I've sent her your link - she'll definitely want to see the film. Love the blog! Nan

Anonymous said...

just went to check it out! Must get my hands on one!

/// said...

Ooooh I'm so excited to see your gray bathroom! :)

Julia said...

Cindy! You're so cute! I loved the excitement rolling off this post :) I hope you have fun with the new camera and the new "floor mat" :)

It sounds like that moment you realized that is was Saturday and NOT Friday was the best! I think my favorite part of the weekend was walking down to my favorite coffee shop for hot drinkies with my husband!

please sir said...

Cool - I'm going to have to check it out - thanks!

TIG said...

Will definitely check it out.

{Found my way here through a comment you left awhile ago -- really love your header, and thanks for the review of Vicky Cristina Barcelona.}

Unknown said...

Ooh! Excited! Going to go check it out asap.

I just found an artist this morning with the initials MJ ...they are a constant in my life as well.

Mrs.French said...

I was so inspired I promptly jumped over to ebay to do the same...then I took a deep breath and decided to think about it...this looks like a tremendous deal! Congrats...can't wait to see your photos!

Megan Coyle said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your new mat. And thanks for sharing info about the film you saw--photography has always intrigued me but I haven't really dabbled in it as much as I'd like.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness what a fun film! Thank you for sharing.

Cindy said...

i really love the end where the women is photographing the seeds. i don't know if it's the music, but they all look so tranquil in this film.

Suzanne : : S.HOPtalk said...

OOOOh your very own? I'm so green!!! Enjoy and I can't wait to take a look through the links...thanks for sharing.

Paul Pincus said...

thanks so much for the intro! -p.p.

ps regarding exploding an object brilliantly while holding a camera...check out martin klimas' work. he's genius ; )

Claire, said...

mmmmmmm, Lusty!

I love JM's.

SimplyGrove said...

Thanks for the tip!!!

Anonymous said...

hehe
yeah that film is so funny.
good luck with your new baby, sx 70 is a tremendous camera. :)

Bonbon Oiseau said...

my father had that same camera and gave it to my husband! you've inspired me to get him some film!

Cindy said...

i hope you can take 10 minutes to watch the film, which is so charming. there's one part where a women is taking "action" shots of a little girl playing hop scotch. i just cringe at the thought of the cost of the film to do that now.

deb, i will email you some info as it's a little bit tricky.