life | real man

Real Man

when scott called charlie on friday to check in and mentioned we wouldn't be visiting him this weekend, charlie said he would miss us. so, we felt bad and told him saturday night that we would come on sunday and take him out to lunch.

well, when we got there charlie had 'just' decided he wanted to go someplace else and it was for old people. translation, not with us. we usually go with the flow, but it was a beautiful day and we changed our plans for him. we were furious and said so.

after a rather loud discussion and in an effort to move on, which charlie mentioned several times, he told us he had gotten a manicure & pedicure earlier that week. we all laughed so hard at the thought of it and i don't think his nails have ever looked better. i think he's going to do it, again.

xo, cindy

ps for our new readers, charlie is scott's father and ever since scott's mom, helen, passed away a couple of years ago, he's become kind of like our son.

18 comments:

chelsea said...

i love this photo so much.

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

i love the photo. :) I am going to get pedicures forever- if I have a really horrible day- I go get a cheap one.

Cindy said...

thank you - it was #126 on explore yesterday, so thank you charlie for dumping us ;).

i've never had a pedicure - i think it would tickle!

Tamara said...

oh man this is so sweet in a way, ha. stood up for lunch! i absolutely love this photograph.

painted fish studio said...

beautiful photo, the story makes me miss my grampa.

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

powerful portrait, Cindy!
Charlie has a secret date perhaps?

xo*

Cindy said...

we wish ... one other time we waited at his apartment for three hours because he forgot we were coming. he did go to the same place now that i think of it :).

Joyce said...

Oh no Cindy! Too bad we didn't live closer I would hook up Charlie with a senior gal I know that has memory loss when it comes time to do things. ;) I love hands so I'm loving this photo!!! xo

Pascale said...

This is one great shot!
Glad everyone was able to laugh in the end...

Cindy said...

he remembered joyce, he just wanted to do his own thing and didn't think we'd care. we cared, but at least i got a nice photo out of it.

his hands are big and show years of hard work.

onesilentwinter said...

there is nothing like a big belly laugh to clear the air. ps. perhaps he has eye on someone:)!

Cindy said...

we would be really happy if he had a nice sweetie! just let us know before we arrive and we'll find something else to do. parents :)!

Unknown said...

it's not easy to take care of a sweet man like Charlie I guess, but that picture and the story shows that you care and love him!

cupcake studio said...

Bless his heart! This is such a heartwarming photo :)

Elizabeth said...

I love your posts on Charlie :) That photo is so beautiful Cindy.

My dad who is in his mid 70's just told me on the phone the other day, that he has discovered pedicures, and now there is no going back! Too funny :)

Cindy said...

that is so funny, elizabeth! did the aarp recommend them or something?

erin / dfm said...

this post and photo was so, so gorgeous. :)

Bella Sinclair said...

I love this story, Cindy! It brought a big smile to my face. His nails look lovely!

My friend's husband gets regular manicures. He's in sales and claims he needs to keep up appearances. I, myself, enjoy pedicures more than manicures. :)