life | all things japanese

Kokeshi Doll
Japanese Top

although i've never been there, the devastating earthquake & tsunami in japan made me think about how much i feel a connection to that country. they seem to like things just so and i like that, too. watching the videos seems unreal. carefully tended farm land destroyed in the blink of an eye, entire trains missing and a death toll that is rising. now, they have to try and avert a nuclear disaster.

people often think our last name is japanese (or native american). our favorite restaurant is japanese. our car is japanese. my hairstylist is japanese and doesn't speak much english so we look a photos and nod, a lot. and, japanese books are the only ones i own in a language i can't read. we're definitely thinking about all things japanese these days and saying a few prayers. shiawasena shūmatsu (happy weekend).

xo, cindy

13 comments:

Pascale said...

A lovely post, Cindy.
I'm hoping for a safe weekend for everyone out there...

Unknown said...

sweet Cindy!!

Elizabeth said...

I was just thinking about the same thing. The fact that they are so meticulous and everything is so cute and done in an eye candy way. So sad to see their country in this kind of pain :(
That is one asian culture that I truly admire, and I hope nothing but the best for them in repairing their lives.

So, what is the origin of your last name?

Cindy said...

sure ... it's a czech name.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

maybe this is a stupid question- what IS your last name?

Bella Sinclair said...

Beautiful, dainty photographs. My heart is broken over all the devastation and loss in a country I love so much. Much sadness and sorrow.

Cindy said...

krikawa!

painted fish studio said...

so sad, and so scary.

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

duh! I knew that... where did my mind go?!

blue moss said...

such a lovely post....i was just checking on my favorite etsy japanese book seller, japanlovelycrafts....and was so glad to see that they were fine...
and also donating 20% their sales to victim relief....
saying my prayers for them, too...
happy last little bit of the weekend to you
michelle

Joyce said...

beautiful my friend. xo

and flowers pick themselves said...

thank you for sharing your own connections with japan. i have zero of my own, so it's nice to read these special ways in which you feel a fondness for it. my heart just aches...

hugs :)

xo Alison

Deniz said...

it is so devastating! i got quite a few japanese friends and was glad to hear they were fine. my heart breaks hearing about the losses and devastation. what a kind and wonderful post! we praying too